Leading yourself, and leading others is not the same thing. You must be able to lead yourself before you can effectively lead others. Leading an organization is even more demanding and requires an additional set of competencies and skills than leading yourself and leading others.
Full Spectrum Leaders display all the attributes of the Seven Levels of Leadership Consciousness. They master:
- Survival consciousness by creating an environment of financial security and physical safety for themselves and those in their charge.
- Relationship consciousness through learning to communicate openly, and by creating a culture of caring and belonging that engenders employee and customer loyalty.
- Self-esteem consciousness by measuring and monitoring progress towards the organization’s goals, and keeping the organization focused on quality, excellence and continuous improvement, such that employees feel a sense of pride in the organization’s performance, and can pursue their professional growth.
- Transformation consciousness by becoming responsible and accountable for their actions, learning to delegate appropriately, empowering their executives and managers, and encouraging them to pursue their personal growth.
- Internal cohesion consciousness by finding a personal sense of purpose/mission to their lives; creating a vision of the future that is a source of inspiration for everyone in the organization; and engendering a climate of trust.
- External cohesion consciousness by actualizing their own sense of purpose through collaboration with external partners in strategic alliances, and enabling their employees, managers and executives to do the same.
- Service consciousness by aligning the needs of the organization with the needs of humanity and the planet and performing acts of self-less service with humility and compassion that support their employees, managers, and executives in doing the same.
Leading yourself: The Seven Levels of Human Motivation
Leading an organization: The Seven Levels of Organizational Consciousness
Leadership: The Seven Levels of Leadership Consciousness
For more information:
Richard Barrett, Building a Values-Driven Organization: A Whole System Approach to Cultural Transformation, Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, 2006, pp. 87-103
Richard Barrett, Liberating the Corporate Soul: Building a Visionary Organisation, Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, 1998, 159-172
Download a pdf copy of Attributes of Full Spectrum Leadership